Saturday, October 21, 2017

SCBWI Gauteng Seminar : Standing Among The Giants

I just got home from the SCBWI Gauteng seminar in Sandton, and I'm still pumped about the event - what I learnt, the people I met, the speakers, everyone worked so well together. I'm happy that I didn't skip the event, despite the fact that I was so nervous. At the event, I felt like I was standing among the giants, yet the authors were also so relatable!
Joan Rankin telling the story of her evolution as a writer in a fairytale format was inspiring. It was great to know that there was no "happy"ending,though the story was ecouraging.
Bontle Senne really touched a cord with me about being represented in the books you read. Like her, I didn't meet characters that looked like me when I was a child, and I'm glad she's part of the solution for that.
Susie Deenien reminded me that the writing process can be hard, but we can find our mojo again.
I knew the work of Joanne MacGregor, as I subscribe to her newsletter. But listening to her was like attending a masterclass for indie/hybrid authors. So much to learn, so many resources she shared, yet the indie element of her writing life didn't distract her from actually writing. She has an impressive body of work.
I wanted to pipe in as Fiona Snyckers was speaking about two of her books - one that touches on abusive relationships and the second one on teen pregnancy. I'm going to buy the one one abusive relationships (it's out already) because I know someone who could really benefit from that book.
All in all, it was a day well-spent and I'm grateful I had the opportunity to do this.

What I have been up to

My talk at the seminar reminded me that I need to follow up with Roundafire Publishers to establish when the first of my children's books is coming out with them. I had ceased publishing for a while, when I was in Phokeng, and now that I'm back in full swing, it behooves me to start lining up my ducks in the row. I also need to schedule the launch of the non-fiction book I did with my friend Christelle Du Toit on job-hunting for young people. I put the launch in the back burner because I did not have the capacity to do the launch the way I felt the ebook deserved. Meanwhile, the writing carries on.
On Friday I also interviewed to ghost-write a non-fiction book. The project would keep me fairly busy in November if I were the incumbent, but I want to build up some Christmas money, so busy suits me at the moment.
I also need to visit my pages on several social media to update them. They probably look so old and dated it's not funny.
Anyhoo, I'm glad I feel like myself again, after a long period of prioritising life issues.

Have a great weekend, and thank you for visiting.

No comments:

Copyright Notice

With the exception of entries specifically credited to individual authors, the content on this blog is copyrighted by Damaria Senne and may not be reprinted without permission.